Savannah Attractions

Savannah has more than 40 cultural attractions and amusements to keep the inquisitive traveler busy. Savannah’s past is told in the many house museums and cultural centers that populate the Savannah area.

The Andrew Low House
Location: 329 Abercorn Street
Phone: 912.233.6854

This structure was built in 1848 by cotton merchant Andrew Low. Low’s son, William MacKay Low, married Juliette Gordon, founder of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. It is owned and preserved by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of Georgia. The carriage house was left to the Girl Scouts as their Savannah headquarters. Hours of operation are Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday from Noon- 4 p.m. Closed on Thursdays.

The Coastal Heritage Society
Location: 303 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Phone: 912.651.6840

The organization provides a number of services for the Savannah community. The society currently manages three significant historical sites: Old Fort Jackson, the Savannah History Museum and the Roundhouse Railroad Museum. The society is open to the public.

City Market
Location: Between Barnard, Congress and Bryan Streets
Phone: 912.232.4903

Four blocks in the heart of the Historic District have been renovated to capture the authentic atmosphere and character of the city’s old open marketplace. The market features artists working in their lofts and exhibits of works for sale. There are also restaurants, open-air cafes, jazz clubs, theme shops and stores offering crafts, accessories and gifts.

Davenport House Museum
Location: 324 East State Street
Phone: 912.233.8097

Located on Columbia Square the Isaiah Davenport House was built between 1815 and 1820 and is an exceptionally fine example of Federal architecture. It was the proposed demolition of this home that served as a catalyst in the founding of the Historic Savannah Foundation. It features a fine collection of Davenport china and period decorative arts.

Factors Walk and River Street
Location: Between Bay and River Streets
Phone: 912.234.0295

Located along the river bluff on Bay Street, this area was a 19th century meeting place and center of commerce for cotton merchants. The top contained offices for cotton brokers, and the lower warehouses on River Street contained the cotton that was shipped from Savannah to the world. Bridge ways connect the buildings now used for quaint shops and restaurants. Cobblestones used as ballast in ships from England pave each ramp and form the walk-ways.

The Georgia Historical Society
Location: 501 Whitaker Street
Phone: 912.651.2125

The Georgia Historical Society is the oldest cultural institution in the state and one of the oldest historical organizations in the nation. For 160 years, GHS has fulfilled its mission to collect, preserve, and share Georgia history through a variety of exciting educational outreach programs and research services. The library and archives contains diaries, personal letters, ledger books, minute books, account books, church records and many other primary sources related to Georgia’s History. Library hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.

Green-Meldrim House
Location: 1 West Macon Street
Phone: 912.232.1251

Completed by architect/builder John S. Norris for wealthy cotton merchant Charles Green, the Green-Meldrim house was the headquarters of Union General William T. Sherman after he captured the city at the conclusion of his “March to the Sea.” It is now the parish house for St. John’s Episcopal Church and has been fully restored and furnished. The house is graced with magnificent carving and plaster work. Call for hours of operation.

Jepson Center for the Arts
Location: 207 W. York St.
Ph: 912.790.8800

Jepson Center for the Arts features two large galleries for major traveling exhibitions; galleries for African American art, Southern art, photography and works-on-paper; a community gallery; a 3,500-sq. ft. hands-on gallery for young people; two outdoor sculpture terraces, education studios, a 200-seat auditorium, café, and store. Covered with glistening white Portuguese stone and consisting of two separate structures connected by glass bridges over a protected lane that is part of Savannah’s town plan originally conceived in 1733 by Georgia’s founder General James Oglethorpe, the building has a soaring, light-filled atrium and sweeping, three-level staircase that provides access to its expansive galleries.

Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace
Location:142 Bull Street
Phone: 912.233.4501

Built between 1818 and 1820, the Center is the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts. The building has been restored and furnished to depict the 1870s and was named Savannah’s first National Historic Landmark in 1965. It is owned and operated by the Girl Scouts of the USA as a memorial to their founder and is a program center for all members.

Massie Heritage Interpretation Center
Location: 207 East Gordon Street
Phone: 912.651.7380

Massie is the only remaining original building of Georgia’s oldest chartered school system. he Heritage Classroom Program, operated by the public school system at Massie, is an enrichment program to increase students’ understanding of Savannah’s historic and architectural heritage.

The Mercer-Williams House Museum
Location: 430 Whitaker Street
Phone: 912.236.6352

Known for its “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” fame, the Mercer-Williams House was designed by New York architect John S. Norris for General Hugh W. Mercer, great grandfather of singer/songwriter Johnny Mercer. In 1969, Jim Williams, one of Savannah’s earliest and most dedicated private restorationists, bought the then vacant house and began a two-year restoration. Previously open only to benefit local historic and charitable organizations, the house is now open to the public since its restoration was completed.

Flannery O’Connor Childhood Home
Location: 207 E. Charlton Street
Phone: 912.233.6014

Author Mary Flannery O'Connor was born in Savannah, Georgia in 1925 and lived in this house until 1938. Today, it is maintained partly as a memorial to her and partly as a literary center for Savannah. The house is open to the public free of charge Saturdays from 1-5 p.m. and Sundays from 1-4 p.m.

The Oatland Island Education Center
Location: 711 Sandtown Road
Phone: 912.898.3980

The Center features a "Native Animal Nature Trail" that winds through maritime forest, salt marsh and freshwater wetlands. Along the way, visitors can observe native animals such as Florida panthers, Eastern timber wolves, alligators, and many more in their natural habitat. The Center is open for self-guided trail walks Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and most Saturdays from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.

Owens-Thomas House
Welcome to Savannah, Est. 1733. This ...

Bass - Bridles - Blues
SeaPalms Resort
Travel Guide and Brochures
Mosaic Clubs and Resorts