overlooking the beautiful 32 acre Forsyth Park and its historic fountainThe Whitaker - Huntingdon Inn
is located in the 1883 cir. home of Debbie and Bill Saxman and overlooks beautiful 32 acre Forsyth Park and its historic fountain.
Bill and Debbie represent the fifth family to own this home which has original heart pine floors, 12 foot ceilings, and other original details, period lighting, family pictures, oriental rugs, antiques, reproduction furnishings plus modern conveniences such as wire-less internet, direct TV, hair-dryers, etc.
Currently two - 2 bedroom suites are available with queen size poster beds in each suite. One suite also has a queen size sleeper sofa with two private bathrooms. The other suite has a single private bathroom with an antique lion claw soaker tub/shower. Both suites have a private kitchen. History
This house was constructed in 1883, for Mrs. Jane Gordon, Mrs. Ellen Williams and their brother Mr. Robert Lachlison. Mr. Lachlison was in one of the eight parties, representing City officials in December of 1864, when the City of Savannah surrendered to General Sherman, the Union Commander, at the conclusion of his "March to the Sea". The second owner, Mr. Murry McGregor Stewart, purchased the house in 1896. He was the president of three local companies representing cotton and insurance industries. He was Mayor of Savannah from 1920 to 1924.
The third owner was Dr. Lloyd Taylor who lived with his family in the home 42 years. In 1923, Dr. Taylor added the one story addition on the rear of the structure as his medical office. Two additional rooms were also added by Dr. Taylor in a two story addition in the rear of the house. During W.W.I, the Taylor’s also converted the second story into an apartment.
In 1958, Dr. Larence Dunn purchased the home and he and his family lived here for eighteen years. The side porches were changed from a double one over one design to a single story screen porch in the early 1960's.
The Saxmans purchased the home in 1976 and have been painting and restoring the structure ever since. In 2000, the second two bedroom suite with two bathrooms was established in the 1923 additions constructed by Dr. Taylor. The Inn was permitted in 1989 and opened in 1995.