755 Mimosa Boulevard
Tel: (770) 993-6316
The Roswell Presbyterian Church Historic Sanctuary was the first house of worship in Roswell. Built in 1840 it was used as a hospital for Union soldiers during the Civil War. Master craftsman Willis Ball of Windsor, Connecticut, the town in which Roswell King was born, built the Doric-columned church and homes of the original families. The Roswell Presbyterian Church was built similar in design to that of an New England meetinghouse, much like the Midway Congregational Church on the coast, where many of the early Roswell families and their ancestors were members. Both churches had box pews, raised pulpits, and galleries for slave members. The short, square bell tower of the Roswell church holds an iron ship bell cast in Philadelphia in 1827. The bell was presented to the church by members of the Independent Church of Savannah.