381 Powder Springs Street
Tel: (800) 451-3480
The Confederate Cemetery in Marietta, Georgia began in 1863. Adjacent to the older Marietta City Cemetery, Marietta Confederate Cemetery is on a hill overlooking the downtown square from the south. This is the final resting place for Confederate soldiers from nearby hospitals and the battles of the Atlanta Campaign that took place around Marietta including Kolb's Farm and Kennesaw Mountain.
In 1833 the first church in Marietta is built on the site which today holds the Marietta Confederate Cemetery. In 1839 this Baptist Church moved closer to downtown, on the aptly named Church Street just north of Marietta Square. John Glover, who was Marietta's first mayor, bought the land as part of a larger parcel shortly after he arrived in 1848. Jane Glover, his wife, officially gave the land to the "Memorial Association" in 1867, but the city began using land to bury Confederate war dead 4 years earlier, with Glover's permission.
That year a train wreck near Emerson, Georgia, not far from Allatoona Pass brings the war home for the people of this small Georgia town. The dead are buried on the hill beneath an oak tree.
As the Marietta Operations commence the city girds for inevitable dead. By now Marietta has witnessed the carnage of battle a number of times. Confederate wounded from Chickamauga are transported through the railway station at Dalton to Marietta. A number of buildings, including the Kennesaw House, serve as hospitals and the cemetery accepts its first men killed in battle.
With the launch of The Atlanta Campaign on May 4, 1864, Marietta becomes a major hospital town for the Confederacy and the number of dead in the Confederate Cemetery begins to rise. Burials of Confederate soldiers on the site continued until July 2, 1864, when William T. Sherman took the city.
Prior to 1867 Henry Cole, a prominent businessman and ardent Unionist, proposed the Marietta National Cemetery, intended to include the bodies of men who died on both sides during The Atlanta Campaign and The March to the Sea. Southerners in many towns, including Marietta, are outraged at the idea of burying Confederate dead in the same graveyard as Yankees. When the national cemetery is approved, Mrs. Glover donates the land containing the Confederate war dead.
Take I-75 to exit 263, GA Highway 120 known locally as the South 120 Loop. Go west on Highway 120 and turn left on Powder Springs Road. The cemetery is immediately on your left.