SEARCH

Bass - Bridles - Blues
Alpharetta
SeaPalms Resort
Travel Guide and Brochures
Mosaic Clubs and Resorts
West Dug Gap Battle Road
Dalton
Georgia
30720
 
Tel: 706-278-0217

Description

Built by Civil War soldiers during the Atlanta Campaign, the Confederates successfully held off Union attacks here on May 8, 1864. The park contains over 1,200 feet of the original stone wall the Confederates built and adventurous people can venture further up the mountain from the park and see the Rebel entrenchments that line the crest of Rocky Face. Visitors can also enjoy scenic views from the top of the Dug Gap Mountain hiking trail while at this historic park.


The Battle

After defeating the Rebel skirmishers at Tunnel Hill, Army of the Cumberland Commander George Thomas [US] decided to probe Rocky Face. He felt "Buzzard's Roost" was too heavily fortified so he sent troops under "Fighting Joe" Hooker [US] to Dug Gap, 2.5 miles south of Mill Creek. On the afternoon of May 8, 1864, Major General John W. Geary [US] ordered troops under his command to advance and attack a well entrenched Confederate line behind a stone wall.

The Rebels, under the command of Lieutenant General William J. Hardee [CS] outnumbered at times by ten to one, had spent 5 months preparing for the attack. Not only had the wall been constructed, but a number of large boulders had been propped up at the top of the gap. As Geary's men advanced the Confederate defenders released the boulders, killing many soldiers and demoralizing the rest. A second attack at the same spot later in the day was repulsed when the Rebels were reinforced by General Hiram Granbury's infantry brigade.

The park contains over 1200 feet of the original stone wall the Confederates built between November, 1863 and May, 1864 in a 2.5 acre park. Adventurous souls may decide to venture further up the mountain from the park and see the Rebel entrenchments that line the crest of Rocky Face.




Directions

Directions from I-75: Exit 333-Walnut Ave., west up the mountain 2 miles; park on pull-off on the right at the top of the ridge.