Welcome to Callanwolde Fine Arts Center
A busy, non-profit community arts center, Callanwolde
offers classes and workshops for all ages in visual, literary and performing arts. Special performances, gallery exhibits, outreach programs and fundraising galas are presented throughout the year. A magnificent Gothic-Tudor style mansion situated on a beautifully landscaped 12.5-acre estate, Callanwolde provides an ideal setting for weddings, corporate meetings or any special occasion. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Callanwolde's combination of history, architecture and art education makes it one of the most unique art centers in the country.
Click here for a Calendar of Events
Callanwolde was the home of the family of Charles Howard Candler (1878-1957) from 1920 until 1959. Howard Candler was the oldest son of Asa Griggs Candler (1851-1929), the Atlanta pharmacist who, in 1891 purchased the rights to the formula for Coca-Cola, which had been developed by another Atlanta pharmacist, John S. Pemberton, in 1886 as a tonic for most common ailments.
The estate is located in the Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta, which was planned by the firm of Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of Central Park in New York City. Of the estate's original 27 acres, approximately 12 remain intact. The grounds, which consist of sculptured lawns, formal gardens, nature trails and a rock garden, have been partially restored by the DeKalb County Federation of Garden Clubs, and are maintained by DeKalb County.
Designed by Henry Hornbostel, who also designed Emory University, Callanwolde's plan is one of openness. Most rooms adjoin the great halls located on each floor, and the entire 27,000 square foot mansion is centered around a large, courtyard that has recently been enclosed. The attention to fine detail is evident in the excellent craftsmanship of the walnut panelling, stained glass, bronze balustrades, the artistry of the delicate ceiling and fireplace reliefs, and the pierced tracery concealing the Aeolian organ chambers.
Callanwolde remained the Candlers' home for 39 years. In 1959, two years after Mr. Candler's death, and nine years prior to her own death, Mrs. Candler donated the estate (including many of the original furnishings) to Emory University.