Based on General James Oglethorpe’s 1771 city plan, Old Town Brunswick’s streets and squares form a grid pattern. Old Town’s homes, churches and public buildings are noted for their turn-of-the-century architecture and eclectic mix of styles.
Old Town Brunswick is the largest small town urban National register Historic District in Georgia. Following the American revolution, Brunswick (named for the Braunschweig, Germany, ancestral home of King George II) did not change the names of its streets and squares, which honor English royalty and geography: Gloucester, Prince and Halifax, for example.
Hanover Square, just south of downtown on Newcastle Street, features a newly renovated fountain, brick sidewalks and other improvements. The improvements are the first stage of a planned renovation and restoration program for the city’s 14 public squares.
You will find a number of historic homes and quaint bed and breakfasts in the district.
The Old Town National register district can be easily enjoyed on foot. A brochure, containing photos and historical information about many homes, churches and public buildings in the district, is available at Visitor centers or the Downtown Development Authority office, located in Old City Hall on Newcastle Street.
Another source for additional information is:Brunswick Downtown Development Authority
P. O. Box 684
Brunswick, Georgia 31521
912-265-4032 • Fax 912-265-8181
© 2008, Brunswick-Golden Isles CVB. Used with Permission.