SEARCH

Bass - Bridles - Blues
Alpharetta
SeaPalms Resort
Travel Guide and Brochures
Mosaic Clubs and Resorts
601 West Hancock Street
Milledgeville
Georgia
31061
 
Tel: 478- 453-1803


Description

This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to serve visitors and legislators during the city's years as capital of Georgia (1807-1868). In 1857 the house was purchased by merchant Daniel B. Stetson. His daughter Elizabeth married Judge Daniel B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention, in 1868. From 1951-1966 the house was renowned as the Sanford House Tea Room. The family then donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society who moved it here in 1966.

Click here for a detailed history of the building.